The Allergy & Free From Show 2013

WOW!!! it is nearly a month since I last updated the blog, foodies, I hang my head in shame!

Although there has been a lot going on there are no excuses for not putting up all the yummy-licious (yes I did) things I have been making and enjoying.

I had the opportunity to attend the Allergy and Free from Food Show at Kensington Olympia this past weekend, and was so blown away by how much is now available for individuals suffering with food allergies and or intolerances.

The British Dietetic Association has a great article on food allergy and intolerances, which is not too heavy going, a great brief summary of what they are, how to get tested and reading food labels (http://www.bda.uk.com/foodfacts/Allergy.pdf), also Coeliacs UK (http://www.coeliac.org.uk/) have a wealth of information on Gluten allergy/intolerances and support groups.

I am always amazed by how people can adapt and create things out of sheer necessity, and at the same time give others the pleasure of enjoying food without having to compromise on taste or flavour. I had a fabulous time and would really recommend the event to anyone who has not had the opportunity to go to one.

Now for the good bits...

These were delicious!! so much flavour and the use of fresh ingredients you could really taste the goodness in these pies and dipshttp://www.clivespies.co.uk/ they are also available from independent health food stores.

This particular advertising made me smile and I had to take a photo, there is a lovely quote I saw on their website and also had to share it with you as there is some truth in it, especially when no effort has been made to compensate for the removal of gluten and or dairy from some products.
"If you remove the gluten and dairy you might as well eat the cardboard it comes in!"

And of course all the big names in gluten and dairy free products were there...
Udis Gluten Free, Glutafin, Isola Bio (alternative milks), Alpro and some of the larger supermarket chains e.g. Sainsbury and Tesco were on show too, the list could go on, but I must stop.

I had a great time and didn't spend a lot though I really could, these were my trophies



I have already used the "Baobab" powder in my smoothies yesterday and today. Loved the taste and will do further analysis of this and the other products at a later date. 



Till next time, EAT mindfully, DRINK responsibly, and EXERCISE your mind and body!!!!


Comments